Friday, March 27, 2009

SLEEP DEPRIVED!!!!!

So Matt and I have decided that we are desperate! I am posting this because our sweet little boy who we love so very much, is about to drive us crazy!!! Granted he is only 5 months old and he can't talk but that is besides that matter. For the first 3 months of Ryan's life, he was a great sleeper. He usually woke up once a night to eat anywhere from 2am to about 4am. I was totally fine and I could handle waking up once to feed the little guy. Now as great as that was, 2 short months later, we are experiencing a couple weeks of absolutely NO SLEEP! Ryan now goes to bed around 9 or 930 (which has always been his bedtime) but wakes up at midnight, 2 am, 4 am, and usually about 6 am. WHY?!? We need sleep too!

Now if you can't tell, I am a little bugged by the recent happenings in the Oakey home. I didn't realize how bugged I was until I went to pick up Ryan from Bret and Jan's house (they were so kind to babysit today) and they informed me that Bella, who is two months younger than Ryan, is sleeping 9 hours a night! What is this all about? I talked to Jan and got a few ideas that might help but I am desperately searching for advice from all experienced moms! I feel like we are trying everything that every book says. He falls asleep on his own, in his crib, he doesn't use a pacifier to fall asleep, he weighs like 20 pounds (so you would think he could go more than a few hours without food), and we have the same routine every night. The only hard thing is, is that we live in a building with neighbors on all sides. We are afraid to really let him cry at 2 am in fear of waking up the baby below us.

Now I like to think of myself as a humble person so I will not be offended by any advice or criticism and I would love to hear exactly what everyone has to say on the subject! I will try anything at this point! We just need sleep!!!!!!!

Here is a picture of Ryan just so I can remind myself as well as everyone else how cute this little guy is....this is what keeps me sane! How can I really be mad at someone so dang cute!

6 comments:

Whittier said...

I'm laughing so hard right now!! Parenthood, you've got to love it! Cassia is a pretty good sleeper most of the time, but she keeps getting colds and then gets into bad sleeping habits, so that always throws her for a loop.

As a general rule we've decided if it's not time to eat, she doesn't come out of the crib. We had it easier when she was Ryan's age though because we'd walk in, pop in a binky, and walk out, and she'd be fine. When she got older we slowly stopped giving her the binky, and at 11 months, she was done with it. So, I don't think the binky is all bad, as long as you get them off of it before they're too old. It was a life saver for us.

We did have a few nights when we just had to let her cry it out. It was painful for me. I hate doing it, but we got to the point that she wouldn't take a binky and she wouldn't fall asleep.

Now Cassia usually sleeps from 8:30 to 8:30, waking up to eat at 6:00. I should probably kick the 6:00 eating habit, but she's just so darn cute and snuggly in the morning and the rest of the day she's too busy to snuggle with me.

Umm..don't know if any of that helps. Give me a call if you want some other ideas. I guess another thing is to make sure he's not getting too many naps that are interfering with nighttime sleepingness.

Michaelson Family said...

Camie,
Buy the book, Baby Wise!!! (If you don't already have it). It is the bible for teaching your kid to sleep through the night.
If he doesn't have colic, he should start sleeping through the night in less than a week if you follow this book.
I swear by this book. It saved my life. Kai started sleeping though the night at 9 weeks and the only reason he has woken up since has been b/c he was either sick or teething. I do know that sometimes kids just wake up b/c it has turned into a routine and they aren't necessarily hungry. Maybe try to just let him cry it out.
Hope this helps.
~Ash

M+J=K3+E said...

Parenthood is quite hard. My first two slept through the night for 12 hours at a time by two months old. Then along came Ky and he was 8 months before he did. Each child is different. I truly would ask your doctor because I was going to just let Ky cry it out, but she said since he was eating a full feed he probably was hungry. She said most the time she does say to cry it out. She said once he was eating solids three times a day if he was still waking in the night then he needed to cry it out. I implemented solids three times a day and he started sleeping through. It is so hard to know what to do. Good luck, ask the doc. That is why they get paid the big bucks :)

M+J=K3+E said...

P.S. He is stinking cute :)

Maricia said...

Good luck! By the time I finally got one to sleep through the night I had a brand new baby again! I'm crazy - I know! :)
When Isaac was a baby he would do the same thing. He would cry and then when I got him out he was fine and just wanted to play. What helped me was to not have any lights on and I didn't talk to him. I just would pat his back and say "shh shh...". But sometimes they just scream louder! :)
If when he wakes up he is just crying/screaming then I would definitely check to see if he is colic or has any stomache issues.
I hope you find something that works! The no sleep thing is a bummer! I'm just waiting till all my kids are out of the house for my precious sleeping time to return!!!

Dave and Debbie said...

I am so glad to be Grandma! He sleeps good for me during the day! I think he has to cry it out, but you should hear him cry, like a Banchee, ha ha. He will figure it out soon.