Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Oh the lessons you can learn in 1 MONTH...

As of tomorrow, we have been a family of four for 1 month! I cannot believe that Halle is 1 month old. To say that this month has been eventful is an understatement. I started thinking of the many things that Matt and I have learned throughout the past month and came up with this short list. Sorry if it is boring but I rarely write things down other than on this blog so this is for my own record as well. 
  • Nap time is SACRED!  Nothing beats a 2 year old napping for 2 hours in the afternoon...priceless!
  • Movies (such as Cars, Lion King, and Toy Story) and a locking baby gate provide mom with the chance to shower in peace each day.
  • Toddler jail is a great method of timeout. (See the video below. To clarify, he is yelling "Open the Gate.")
  • I can totally understand why people use leashes on their kids (not that I have resorted to it yet).
  • DO NOT attempt to carry a toddler down the stairs, in the middle of the night, with no lights on...Matt learned this the hard way!
  • Although it isn't fun to get up during the night, enjoy snuggling with your little girl while it is quiet!
  • Bribery is completely OK when you are in a public place.
  • Having the flu while nursing should NOT be wished upon anyone.
  • Babies grow FAST. Halle is already getting little rolls on her legs and chubby little cheeks
  • Matt has more patience than I do. Thank goodness for two parents.
  • Nursing while walking around the house is OK.
  • A clean house is so OVERRATED! :)
  • Family and amazing neighbors can take Ryan for an hour or two anytime they want. He loves to go play with someone other than his mom. We can't thank everyone enough for their help. 
  • We thought Ryan ate good as a newborn. We just didn't know any better. Halle nurses like a champ!
  • Nothing is sweeter than Ryan giving his sister kisses or holding her hand while she is crying.
  • 5 hours of straight sleep can go a long ways! 


A little smile from our little girl

All in all we really have had an amazing first month. Although challenging at times, it really is so much fun to have two kids. We love the two of them so much!  Thanks to everyone who has helped us through this first month!

6 comments:

Jan said...

Bret and I got a good laugh out of the video! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with balancing two kids. It sounds hard!

Whittier said...

Love the video! His little voice is so cute. I really enjoyed your list. I can totally relate. Especially to nursing while walking around the house. Pretty much essential anytime Cassia is awake.

Keep up the good work! Give me a call if you need anything.

Brett and Linnae said...

great video- makes me feel like more of a normal mom when I do things like that with Caroline- wish we lived closer so we could have play dates with our little ones when my second baby is born- atleast you have good friends to help!!

M+J=K3+E said...

So, so funny of Ryan. I keep meaning to show Mike since I died laughing watching it!

Anonymous said...

The video is so funny and cute - wish we lived closer so we could help you. Luv Gma

Natalie said...

Yep, I can totally relate. Having a toddler and a newborn is... challenging! I'm happy to hear you're slowly getting the hang of it too. :)