Saturday, October 9, 2010

The LIFE of a HUNTER'S WIFE!

I love the Fall! I love the weather, I love the colors, I love the holidays, and I love being single for a couple weekends with two kids! NOT! This time of year is wonderful for many different reasons but I am not in love with the life a Hunter's wife leads. 

Matt's passion is the outdoors. He would be completely content going camping, hiking, or hunting every spare minute of his time. In fact that is all he ever asks for, hunting stuff. He always buys his Christmas a few months early. Every year he wants a new scope, new boots, or a gun. (I guess this makes my job easy)

The first of October marks the beginning of hunting season in the Oakey household. Just now Matt left for the first of about 3-4 weekends of hunting. Tomorrow is the beginning of the Elk hunt. Next is the deer hunt. Finally the pheasant hunt takes place the beginning of November.  Now all of this is great but its pretty hard to take 2 kids hunting so I get to stay home and be a single mom during the month of October. Wahoo.  If you can't sense the sarcasm in my voice; I should do a better job typing.

Just yesterday when Matt left, Ryan was in tears. He kept saying, "Daddy, I wanna go fishin (he doesn't know hunting yet) up da canyon."  He couldn't understand why daddy wouldn't take him.  Thank goodness to our neighbor boy, Jackson, who distracted Ryan while his dad left.  So sad.  Before the tears started coming I did manage to get a picture of Matt and the kids. (Make sure to check out the "hunting beard." I guess its tradition or something, but he grows it out every year.)  They adore him!  He is an amazing dad, I just wish that we could all enjoy this time of year together. 


Before we had kids I actually went hunting with Matt and the experience was a lot of fun. I love hiking and being outdoors in the fall. We didn't shoot anything that year but Matt's cousin did and I actually wasn't even grossed out by all of it. It was kinda cool. I actually carried the Elk Head off the mountain one year (the evidence is below :) ) Impressive huh!?! Maybe my problem is that I am a little jealous of Matt. I mean all you moms know how hard it is to have a weekend getaway without kids, especially if they are little. For some reason moms are just expected to stay home and be mom.  Oh well I guess. I keep telling Matt that he owes me BIG time...let's see when that debt is payed off.


I don't want to come across as a whiner but I am sitting in bed and I should be doing my Young Women's lesson for tomorrow but I had to vent. This probably isn't the most exciting post for all of you but its my way of getting it out :)

On a more exciting note here are a few fun pictures of Halle and Ryan. This is why we look at blogs right...for the picture. I love these kids so dang much!
Playing baseball, chewing gum, and wearing my cowboy stuff!!!

Chillin' in the tub!

Helping mom cook with my apron and slippers on

Playtime!

Pretty lil' girl!

SO CUTE!

5 comments:

Gma Dodo said...

Love it all - you tell it like it is and it never gets better - your grandpa was just like Matt, however we manage to live thru it. Love the pics of the kids and can't wait to meet Halle. Gma Dodo

Michaelson Family said...

Oh Cami. I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way about Ben sometimes...(more times than I would like to admit actually.)
He loves golfing...LOVES it. He golfs so much during the summer and I am always stuck at home with both kids. He would totally hunt too but hasn't found someone to go with here in Colorado. He was a big hunter growing up.
Wish we lived closer so we could bum around together while the boys were out playing. It just doesn't seem fair.
Love you!

Melissa said...

Love love the pictures your kids are so dang cute!!! Venting is a good needing thing! Hope you feel better!! The picture of you and the elk head is a classic! You are a better women than me!!!

Dave and Debbie said...

I remember the golf widow times of life. Not Fun! But one day soon you can hire a babysitter and go with him. These days don't last long, so make sure you both have something to do together so when all the kids leave you still like doing things together. I learned to golf for that reason and now here I am working full time. Crazy!

Jamie Ehat said...

Hey Camie! It's Jamie (Ellis) Ehat. I blog stalk you :). And you are officially a better wife than me. I don't know if I could handle 3 weekends with out Kendall. I will SOMETIMES let him have a Saturday morning to go golfing but that is about it. It is getting better now that the boys are getting older but seriously 2 kids by your self is quite the task. Good luck this hunting season and if you ever want to go to lunch or go bum around somewhere, call me!