So the lesson in Young Women's today was on the importance of our Extended Family. The lesson challenged each of us to reach out to and make a big effort to stay in touch with our extended family. It talked about the importance that our aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc. have in our lives.
I really thought about my extended family and how many memories I have of them growing up. I feel like we were all really good at getting together when I was younger. On my mom's side of the family, we had a few times that we completely suprised my grandma for her birthday and all the cousins and my mom's sisters came to visit all at once - So fun! My dad's side used to do these wonderful progressive dinners at Christmas and every summer I always counted down to the Allen family campout! I was so lucky to live close to all my cousins and I remember having sleepovers when all of us were "off-track" at the same time. Talking about this makes me smile and it really seems like it was just yesterday.
It is getting harder and harder to get together now that we are all grown up, but it is still a lot of fun when we do. I hope all my extended family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc.) including my newly acquired extended family (Matt's siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) know how important they are in my life.
If you are reading this, I hope you take this challenge and really think about your extended family and the role they have played in your life. Maybe if we all think this way, it won't be so hard to make plans for that next family reunion or the next little get together. If we can all remember that our "extended families" that seem so distant right now, actually stem from our parents and their parents, maybe we will appreciate them more. If we cherish the memories we have with these people then maybe they won't seem so "extended" after all.
Okay, there is my little speech. I needed this lesson that is for sure and I am so Happy that I heard it today.
I am so Happy for all of those people in my life that have truly helped shape me into the person I am today.
Thanks everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment